Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney
Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you've been accused of committing a crime, are under investigation by a local, state or federal law enforcement agency or have been arrested, you should contact a Chicago criminal defense attorney immediately.
Criminal defense is a highly specialized field of law and you will need a professional in this particular field, preferably a local attorney who is familiar with the judges, prosecutors and court personnel in your area. Making the decision to immediately retain a criminal lawyer may be the only thing standing between you and formal charges followed by a criminal conviction.
At any stage of a criminal case, an experienced lawyer can step in and work to protect a suspect, arrestee or defendant's rights. In the investigatory phase, this may mean limiting the scope of the police investigation against the suspect. A criminal lawyer can protect a client from an unreasonable search, unlawful arrest or questioning without legal representation. By trying to cooperate with law enforcement, a defendant may unintentionally say or do something that actually supports the case against him or her, providing the police and prosecuting attorney with ammunition to move forward with formal charges.
Finding the Right Lawyer for Your Case
We've established that you need legal counsel, but how can you choose the right lawyer for your case? This will eventually come down to a matter of personal preference, but there are a few helpful tips we can offer in selecting your attorney:
- Ask friends, family members or co-workers if they have any recommendations. If you know someone who had a good experience with an attorney, this is a good place to start.
- Make sure you talk to several attorneys, not only one.
- When you find an attorney you are potentially interested in hiring, visit their office if possible. This will give you an idea of their level of professionalism, the size of the firm, and more. You can also begin to get an understanding of what it will be like to work with that firm.
- Ask a lot of questions. Don't be afraid to ask whatever is on your mind during your consultation. You deserve straightforward answers, and getting more information about your particular charges can help you make the right choice not only about hiring an attorney but also about moving in the right direction no matter the circumstances of your case.
- Take a good look at the attorney's credentials. Experience, education and the attorney's specific background are key, as are case results and client testimonials. Take your time in reviewing this information and check with the state bar association to make sure the attorney is in good standing.
- Consider any special needs or concerns you may have. For example, you may wish to work with a lawyer who places a particular focus on sex crime cases because you are dealing with this type of charge. If you live out of state, make sure you find a local attorney who will take this into account and will accommodate your needs when handling your case.
If you are facing formal criminal charges or any type of investigation for a theft crime,
white collar crime,
DUI or any type of
felony offense in the greater Chicago area, please do not hesitate to contact our offices. We are standing by to offer you helpful information about our firm and how we can help you. With our tenacity and our resources by your side, you can feel confident that your case will be in good hands.
Contact a Chicago criminal defense lawyer at our firm today for your confidential case review.