Chicago Crystal Meth Possession Defense Attorney
If you’re facing a charge of crystal meth possession or possession with intent to deliver, you know that Illinois law takes the crimes of possession of a controlled substance and possession with intent to deliver very seriously. A Chicago drug crime lawyer can help you. If you’re caught with even the most minimal amounts of meth, even just a residue, you face felony charges and a possible conviction that could mar your life forever. You need a skilled Chicago crystal meth defense attorney to help you fight your charge and retain your freedom.
Penalties for Crystal Meth Possession in Chicago
Methamphetamine (meth) is a controlled substance under Illinois law. Possession, manufacture, sale, and/or delivery of crystal meth or any other controlled substance in Illinois is subject to penalties based on weight and unit of measurement of the drug, Generally, the more you’re found with, the harsher are the penalties you could face. Your sentence upon your conviction will be in line with the amount seized and weighed by law enforcement officers. You need a Chicago criminal defense lawyer on your side fighting your Possession of Crystal Meth in Chicago charge.
If you’re caught for possession within 1,000 feet of a church, school, public park, or movie theater, your prison sentence and monetary fine could double. If police believe your car, home, or other property were involved in the crime, they can be seized by authorities. Even being caught with a non-controlled substance packaged to look like an illegal drug could result in felony charges – these are serious charges and a Chicago criminal defense attorney can help you beat your Crystal Meth Possession charge in Illinois.
Illinois crystal meth possession defense involves some hard questions and complicated legal issues. You need a Chicago Crystal Meth defense attorney with a solid record of success to help you fight your charges.
Felony sentencing pattern for convictions on crystal meth possession
- Less than 15 grams of crystal meth is a Class 4 felony punishable by up to 3 years in prison and a fine up to $25,000.
- 15 to 99 grams is a Class 1 felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $200,000.
- 100 to 399 grams is a Class 1 felony punishable with up to 30 years in prison and a fine that’s the greater of $200,000 or the street value of the drug.
- 400 to 899 grams is a Class 1 felony punishable by up to 40 years in prison and a fine that’s the larger of $200,000 or the drug’s street value.
- 900 or more grams is a Class 1 felony punishable by up to 50 years in prison and a fine of the larger of $200,000 or the street value of the drug.
How can You Beat Your Crystal Meth Possession Charge?
There are many factors that could affect your chances of obtaining a dismissal of your charges or an expungeable sentence depending upon the circumstances of the offense. An able Chicago crystal meth defense attorney could examine your case for the following factors, among others:
- Were you charged with actual possession or constructive possession of the drug?
- Is this your first offense?
- Did the arresting officer have probable cause?
- Was there an illegal stop and search or was an invalid warrant used?
Contact our team of drug possession lawyers
One key to a successful defense is early and aggressive work by an adept Chicago Criminal Defense attorney. Call on Illinois Crystal Meth Possession Defense Lawyer Matthew Chivari to Help you Beat Your Drug Charges
Chicago Criminal Defense Attorney Matthew Chivari knows that most people facing the harsh consequences of meth possession charges need treatment rather than punishment. Mr. Chivari could thoroughly examine the particulars of your arrest to look for police misconduct that could lead to dismissal of your charges.
His legal knowledge and experience could help present your own record in the best light to result in a reduction or dismissal of your charges. If drug school or boot camp programs could help you avoid prison time, Chicago Criminal Lawyer Matthew Chivari will dedicate himself to obtaining these results for you.
Contact Matthew Chivari today to if you are facing charges of Possession of Crystal Meth in Illinois.