Gun Offenses in Cook County, Illinois
There are a variety of serious charges that are related to weapons of all types. Even common everyday items can be termed a “weapon” under certain circumstances, but the majority of weapons involved in such cases are firearms. If you possess a gun without a permit, this is a criminal offense in Illinois, and you face steep fines and possible jail time, depending upon the circumstances of the case.
Every person who owns a gun in Illinois must have a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID card). If you are caught possessing a gun and do not have the FOID card, you are in serious legal trouble. If you have a criminal record it becomes even more dangerous with regard to penalties. When a gun has been used in the commission of another criminal offense, the penalties are radically increased. Any gun or weapon offense requires the skill of a Chicago gun lawyer from Chivari P.C. Attorneys at Law to assist you in fighting for your freedom.
Types of Gun Offenses in Chicago
Some of the types of weapons offenses that require strong legal representation from our gun lawyers:
- Possession of a firearm without a FOID card
- Unlawful use of a weapon – This can include selling, manufacturing, purchasing, and possessing.
- Illegal possession of a weapon – In Illinois certain people cannot possess firearms, including people under 18 when the firearm is concealed, individuals who have been hospitalized for mental health issues, individuals under 21 with a prior misdemeanor conviction or who were delinquent as juveniles and individuals who are drug addicts.
- Aggravated or reckless discharge of a firearm – Reckless discharge of a firearm means shooting a weapon in a way that endangers the physical safety of others. Aggravated discharge of a firearm can be shooting into an occupied building, at a person, or at an occupied vehicle.
- Concealed weapons charges
- Armed robbery
- Possession of a weapon in the commission of a crime
- Transportation of guns across state lines
- Illegal importation of guns
- Illegal distribution of guns
- Federal weapons charges
Choosing a Weapon and Gun Lawyer in the Chicago Area
The courts do not look kindly upon those who are charged with gun or weapon charges, and state lawmakers have created severe penalties for those who violate the laws. Many individuals are not even aware that certain actions are highly illegal, such as carrying a weapon in your vehicle for protection. In order to legally carry a weapon in your vehicle, you are required to enclose the gun in a case, and it cannot be loaded. If you are stopped and the gun is found, in many cases you will be charged with unlawful use of a weapon – a Class IV felony offense. If convicted, you will face the remainder of your life as a convicted felon, with all the problems and difficulties that come with that designation.
Dedicated Criminal Defense Lawyers
Never proceed into a courtroom on a gun or weapons charge without a strong Chicago and DuPage County gun charge attorney at your side. At Chivari P.C. Attorneys at Law, the legal team has assisted many clients in resolving this very serious matter and avoiding the serious damage to their life and reputation through skillful defense tactics.
The legal team must review and evaluate the circumstances of the charge in order to advise you how to move forward. Fast action is crucial, as the evidence must be reviewed at once to avoid loss of critical information that could assist in the defense case. Working together, our gun lawyers will help you overcome the odds against you and resolve seemingly impossible problems. If you or someone you know has been charged with a gun crime or are under investigation, we’d love to discuss how our array of aggressive defense strategies can benefit you.
Contact a Chicago criminal lawyer from Chivari P.C. Attorneys at Law.